Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
Joe Biden’s Facebook page is an endless scroll of passionate meaningless statements. For example, “It’s not enough just to build back to the way things were before the pandemic – it’s time to build back better.” And “Instead of continuing to fight the wars of the past, we are focusing on the challenges that hold the keys to our future.” And “We are committed to working with our partners and allies to build a more prosperous future for all people.” And I could go on and on. But you seem like nice people. So I won’t. You should be sure to not visit his page someday. It’s worse than you think. Yes, I know what you think. It’s worse than that.
But a recurring (…and recurring, and recurring, and recurring…) theme of his deep thoughts is that the wealthy do not pay enough taxes, and that he is going to fix that. I know that whoever writes the dreck on his website has no intention of anyone actually thinking about what he says Biden says. But just for fun (?), let’s look it up. I think we can agree that the top 10% of wage earners are wealthy. I would sit down and explain to Joe that they make more money than 90% of Americans, but I suspect that would be like explaining calculus to my cat. He wouldn’t understand, and he wouldn’t care. Anyway, those top 10% pay 71% of all income taxes. So when President Biden says, “Folks, I don’t want to punish anyone’s success. But those at the top have been getting a free ride for far too long. We’re going to change that.“, I wonder what, exactly, he intends to change it to?
If 71% of all income taxes is not enough, would 80% be enough? Heck, let’s just say 90%, for argument’s sake. Ok, that means that the lower 90% of all wage earners (whom I suspect Joe would lump into one group called ‘middle class working people’), would be paying the remaining 10% of all income taxes. This would present a problem when Joe says, “It’s time that working people in this country got the tax breaks for a change.”, how would he do that? How do you cut taxes of people who don’t pay them? Plus, well, um – look, I’m getting bored writing this, because it’s a stupid post. But it has to be, because it’s a stupid subject. This is absurd. Why am I wasting my time?
Because the left does. They never stop.
So we agree to let the top 10% of wage earners to pay 71% of all income taxes to placate the left. Ok, whatever. Now they’ll be satisfied. Right?
No. They’re never satisfied. How much is enough?
There is no limiting principle to leftism. This is why even hapless fools like Biden, AOC, Pelosi, et al can be so dangerous. It does not require towering intellect to understand the principles of leftism. The only principle is ‘MORE‘. More control. More money. More power.
Controlling man’s baser instincts, and thus controlling government, is a complex problem. How do you maximize human liberty and prosperity while maintaining a stable, just society? Many of the greatest minds in history have spent their lives pondering such questions. Joe Biden has not.
It does not require a great mind to understand the concept of, ‘MORE.’ Obviously.
And Margaret Thatcher’s ratchet effect keeps clicking along. After all, Joe’s just trying to help ‘working people’.
But not me.
He’s clearly not trying to help me. I thought that I had worked my way up from losing my family’s hog farm at the age of 16 to becoming a successful physician after a lifetime of sacrifice and hard work. I thought that such hard work should be rewarded. I thought I was part of Joe’s ‘working people.’ After all, I work harder than most.
But no. According to my President, I’ve “been getting a free ride for far too long.”
Normally, that would piss me off. But I don’t have time to stew about it.
I’ve got to go to work.