Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
On this week’s episode of Parsing Immigration Policy, host Mark Krikorian is joined by Akiva Lamm, the government and communications director for the Israeli Immigration Policy Center, based in Jerusalem. Krikorian and Lamm explore the striking similarities between the immigration-control challenges faced by their respective countries.
The IIPC was established in 2012 in response to the illegal infiltration of “asylum-seekers” from Sudan and Eritrea across Israel’s desert border with Egypt – a problem very similar to the one faced by the U.S. on its own southern border. It was solved by the construction of a barrier along Israel’s entire 150-mile border with Egypt, though Lamm stresses the need in addition for a legal “wall”, to deter possible infiltrators and visa-overstayers from breaking the law in the first place.
In his closing commentary, Krikorian brings attention to the mainstream media’s acceptance of a lack of transparency from the Biden administration. A recent New York Times story belatedly acknowledged that, “Biden Administration Has Admitted One Million Migrants to Await Hearings” (two and a half months after the Center reported the same thing, based on publicly available documents), but tacked that headline onto a feature story about migrants in Portland, Maine.
Mark Krikorian is the Executive Director of the Center for Immigration Studies.
Akiva Lamm is the Government and Communications Director for the Israeli Immigration Policy Center.
Voices in the opening montage:
- Sen. Barack Obama at a 2005 press conference.
- Sen. John McCain in a 2010 election ad.
- President Lyndon Johnson, upon signing the 1965 Immigration Act.
- Booker T. Washington, reading in 1908 from his 1895 Atlanta Exposition speech.
- Laraine Newman as a “Conehead” on SNL in 1977.
- Hillary Clinton in a 2003 radio interview.
- Cesar Chavez in a 1974 interview.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi speaking to reporters in 2019.
- Prof. George Borjas in a 2016 C-SPAN appearance.
- Sen. Jeff Sessions in 2008 comments on the Senate floor.
- Charlton Heston in “Planet of the Apes”.
Subscribe to Parsing Immigration Policy by RSS feed. For all our podcasts in one place, subscribe to the Ricochet Audio Network Superfeed in Apple Podcasts or by RSS feed.