Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
With the fall of the U.S.-backed government in Kabul, large numbers of Afghans are fleeing the country. In particular, the United States has sought to evacuate those Afghans who would be in danger of Taliban reprisals for their cooperation with American authorities.
To discuss this urgent issue, this week’s episode of Parsing Immigration Policy features two analysts at the Center for Immigration Studies. Dr. Nayla Rush, a senior researcher at the Center, explains the potential size of the flow of people to the United States from Afghanistan and the various programs (like Special Immigrant Visas and the Priority 2 refugee program) that Afghans will use to move here.
This week’s other panelist is Dan Cadman, a 30-year veteran of INS and ICE, who addresses the security, fraud, and health issues stemming from a large-scale admission of people from Afghanistan. Cadman specifically casts doubt on the feasibility of meaningful vetting of Afghans before they are relocated to the United States.
Mark Krikorian, the Center’s executive director and host of Parsing Immigration Policy, moderates the conversation.
Mark Krikorian is the Executive Director of the Center for Immigration Studies.
Nayla Rush, Senior Researcher at the Center for Immigration Studies
Dan Cadman, Fellow at the Center for Immigration Studies
Voices in the opening montage:
- Sen. Barack Obama at a 2005 press conference.
- Sen. John McCain in a 2010 election ad.
- President Lyndon Johnson, upon signing the 1965 Immigration Act.
- Booker T. Washington, reading in 1908 from his 1895 Atlanta Exposition speech.
- Laraine Newman as a “Conehead” on SNL in 1977.
- Hillary Clinton in a 2003 radio interview.
- Cesar Chavez in a 1974 interview.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi speaking to reporters in 2019.
- Prof. George Borjas in a 2016 C-SPAN appearance.
- Sen. Jeff Sessions in 2008 comments on the Senate floor.
- Charlton Heston in “Planet of the Apes”.
Subscribe to Parsing Immigration Policy by RSS feed. For all our podcasts in one place, subscribe to the Ricochet Audio Network Superfeed in Apple Podcasts or by RSS feed.