Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is acting as the face for the Justice Democrats’ Green New Deal, Dianne Feinstein is confronted by terror-stricken children and their indoctrination handlers, women in first world countries are declaring that they will forgo child-bearing in the face of impending environmental collapse, Mayor DeBlasio is mandating “Meatless Monday” menus in NYC public schools in order to combat Climate Change… Wherever you turn, the Left have whipped up their Eco-Marxist rhetoric to an absolute froth. And I, for one, have had enough.
Admittedly, the Global Warming / Climate Change sham has been stuck in my craw since 2008 when I read the 2006 Monnet and Gleason paper “Observations of mortality associated with extended open-water swimming by polar bears in the Alaskan Beaufort Sea.” This is the paper that Al Gore was most likely citing in his 2006 traveling eco-apocalypse road show “An Inconvenient Truth” when he claimed that, “a new scientific study shows that, for the first time, they’re finding polar bears that have actually drowned…” On reading the Monnett and Gleason paper, even as a layperson, I found the study’s methodology, and therefore Gore’s conclusions on the study, to be highly suspect:
- what the study claimed were polar bears were sighted during flights intended to track Bowhead Whale migration; flights made at an altitude five times higher than flights intended to monitor polar bear population, an altitude which the study itself admits made difficult the spotting and identification of what it claimed were polar bears
- no mention in the study was made that the suspected polar bear carcasses were ever retrieved and necropsied to determine their actual identities and causes of death
- the study concludes that the suspected polar bears had drowned, not from long distance swimming due to melting ice coverage, but rather from a storm at sea just days before
Since reading that paper, I have tracked how the absolute hoax of Global Warming / Climate Change (from here referred to as GW/CC for brevity) has progressed: from junk science in which consensus equals evidence, correlation equals causation, and pleas for funding equal articles in peer-reviewed journals; to open Lysenkoism in which the U.N. now dictates what findings are official, the 2016 Democratic platform calls for the prosecution of “deniers,” and Obama’s Organizing for America maintains a totalitarian-level-creepy, searchable, online database of such “deniers” who currently serve in Congress; to what it now has eventually become: a de facto religion.
Admittedly, I know of few better ways to trigger Leftists than to inform them that they are practicing a religion. They, for the most part, profess atheism. However, I believe that they do so not because they’ve actually thought out the issue, I believe that most of them are, in fact, not actual atheists, but nihilists (another discussion for another day), but because, to them, atheism is what “enlightened people” profess. And, to Leftists, to point out that they are practicing a religion is to slander them as unenlightened, flyover bumpkins.
But the Leftists should remember, and won’t, that patterns of religion are present in every culture that the world has seen. Because of this, some have argued that the need for a belief in a higher power/order is hardcoded into the human psyche. If this is true, then the suppression of this drive would most likely manifest as certainly and as toxically as would the suppression of any other human drive – and, like these others, it would most likely manifest without the suppressor ever realizing that it is happening.
Regardless, patterns are patterns, any Leftist triggering notwithstanding; and there are a whole lot of patterns that come bundled with what is passed off as science in the GW/CC scam. Patterns of practices and beliefs that are not only found in other religions but that, in fact, define them.
Some might acknowledge these patterns and then argue that they are irrelevant, but I disagree. These patterns are what now drive the Left’s arguments, such as they are. Some might argue that the science, such as it is, could be extracted from and liberated of these patterns, but I also disagree. That polar bear has long left the iceberg.
So, what are these patterns that are now inextricably bundled with GW/CC’s purported science?
- The Garden: As stated in their labels, Global Warming is Anthropogenic, and, in its newer iteration with a trendier product name, Climate Change is man-made. The claim is that human activity is to blame for destroying the Earth. But this “Earth,” pre-man, is not the actual one of a violently dynamic ecosphere, but rather an imagined Earth that exists in a state of Platonic perfection against which any change can only be viewed as corruption. As such, at the very core of the belief of GW/CC is an Eden myth.
- The Fall: Every good Eden myth needs a Fall of Man storyline. And, playing the role of the Snake and the Apple, what has destroyed this particular Eden are industrialization, fossil fuels, overpopulation, factory farming, and capitalism.
- The Doom: The myth continues with GW/CC’s very own impending Apocalypse. The world of man will end and man will be the cause. However, the world will not end in fire or ice, but both – the seas will rise due to out of control warming which melts the world’s ice.
- The Kingdom: The myth concludes with the vague promise of an Eco-Marxist utopia – an ethereal future paradise for the eco-obedient and eco-pious. But only if correct action to prevent The Doom is taken right now.
- The Seer: A little known or advertised fact about Vice-President Al Gore is that he started, but did not finish, graduate studies at Vanderbilt University. And while one might reasonably assume that those studies were in law, political science, or even environmental science, that assumption would be incorrect. Gore pursued Divinity Studies. Later, he would gain worldwide fame by making apocalyptic, ten year (and wildly incorrect) predictions about The Doom. There is a word for a person steeped in the study of the divine who then also makes well-known predictions. That word is “prophet.”
- The Beatified: The book “Silent Spring” was written in 1962 by Rachel Carson. Its 50th-anniversary reprinting is subtitled “The Classic that Launched the Environmental Movement.” GW/CC is the Lysenkoization of this same movement, and Rachel Carson is often referred to as this movement’s “patron saint.” In fact, the influential Canadian author Margaret Atwood, most well known for her book “The Handmaid’s Tale,” published another book in 2009, “The Year of the Flood,” in which Rachel Carson is portrayed, quite literally, as a saint.
- The Books: Most religions have one or more revered collections of scripture, and GW/CC is no different. Its two major texts are the Book of the Prophet, “An Inconvenient Truth,” and the Book of the Saint, “Silent Spring.”
- The Doctrine: GW/CC has tenets which, like all religions, must be taken on faith. Tenets such as GW/CC is science even when it makes patently unscientific claims such as consensus is evidence and correlation is causation. Tenets such as the GW/CC Eden was real, man has destroyed it, The Doom is imminent, and the last incorrect 10-year prediction about The Doom is to be wiped from memory because the current 12-year prediction about The Doom is far too dire. Tenets such as Science itself can be “settled,” that is to say, can become GW/CC doctrine never to be questioned, ultimately because GW/CC scientists are infallible.
- The Infallible: Scientists which promote The Doctrine are granted the assumption of Infallibility. These Infallible can proclaim the patently unscientific claims of The Doctrine and their infallibility then circularly reinforces those claims as scientific. And, since these scientists are considered infallible, their pronouncements can just be accepted on faith with no need for the common Devout GW/CC follower to actually read their papers or examine their claims. In fact, claims of fudged data and improper peer review are to be dismissed outright. After all, there can be no valid counter-claim of Argumentum ad Verecundiam if the expert that was appealed to in the first place is, in fact, infallible.
- The Council: The U.N. has for years through its IPCC GW/CC report determined what science is “official,” and which scientists are “credible.” In doing so, it anoints both “official” science as Doctrine and “credible” scientist as Infallible. The obvious conflict that the UN would be the immediate power beneficiary of any global law or tax based upon GW/CC is, of course, to be ignored as an affront to The Doctrine. As such, the U.N. acts as the GW/CC Ecumenical Council.
- The Curia: Any large organization must eventually be managed by a bureaucracy, including a religion. And bureaucracies are necessarily, but not necessarily malevolently, political. Bureaucracies of a religion promote a specific doctrine on a departmental or regional level, not on a local or parish level. As such, any politician, from a member of a town council, to a mayor of a city, even to a member of Congress who promotes the GW/CC Doctrine is, in fact, acting as a de facto member of the GW/CC Curia.
- The Evangels: Every religion has its radical sect which interprets its doctrine more literally than figuratively. The urgency engendered by their interpretation often drives them to evangelistic proselytizing. GW/CC also has its evangels, those who not only believe that The Doom is imminent, but is happening right this very second. These evangels are often in positions which command some societal respect, most notably our children’s teachers, our university professors, and our more radical politicians. In fact, the confrontation between Senator Dianne Feinstein and the children prompted by the Sunrise Movement to confront her – children who were stricken with terror over The Doom by this movement – can best be understood as a member of the GW/CC Curia trying to hold in check a radical faction of GW/CC Evangelicals.
- The Devout: Any who believe that The Doctrine and all of its attendant baggage actually constitutes science; that any scientist is infallible who reinforces their belief that they are members of the “enlightened tribe;” that Eden existed, The Doom is imminent, and the “heretic tribe” is to blame. In short, any who have bought into the GW/CC sham.
The Heretics: Any who believe that whatever science might have initially been going on in the area of GW/CC has become irreversibly corrupted by GW/CC factions who want it to be true: especially by the U.N. who stands to benefit by finally being recognized as a de jure global government, and by compromised scientists who enjoy their reputation of infallibility and the seemingly non-stop flow of taxpayer funding for their one-sided research. Members of the GW/CC Infallibles, Curia, and Evangelicals have vilified these skeptics as “deniers” – an intentional attempt to conflate them with modern neo-NAZI groups who deny the NAZI’s attempted extermination of the Jews.
- The Crimes: There are two sins in the religion of GW/CC: one mortal and one venial. The mortal sin is that of heresy, in which the accused will be smeared as reprehensible beyond redemption. The venial sin is that of producing a carbon footprint. And since it is impossible for a human being to exist without producing a carbon footprint, this sin can be regarded as GW/CC’s original sin. Most importantly, it should be noted that this venial, original sin is referred to by the followers of GW/CC themselves – their own very term – as “carbon sin.”
- The Loophole: In the GW/CC religion, a member of the devout can mitigate the ruinous effect of their existence hastening The Doom by purchasing “carbon credits” which are meant to offset the original sin of their carbon footprint. In other religions, this exchange of money for pardon is considered a corrupt practice and is known as the sale of indulgences.
- The Acts: Most religions have a set of defined acts which are intended to be outward signs of belonging to that community of faith. Some religions call these “sacraments.” The sacraments of GW/CC, of which there are many, perform a dual purpose: not just that of virtue signaling a belonging but also that of earning redemption by helping to prevent The Doom. The sacraments are defined by the Infallibles, the Council, the Curia, or even the Devout themselves and are subject to change according to the whim of any. A very incomplete list of GW/CC sacraments include: recycling, composting, driving a hybrid car, avoiding air travel (not applicable to the Infallibles or the Curia), using mass transportation (also not applicable to the Infallibles or the Curia), using CFL light bulbs, using plastic shopping bags, not using plastic shopping bags, not using plastic straws, etc.
- The Table: While sacraments are specific and fairly unique to religion, there is one Act that is common to most: dietary restrictions. Judaism has Kosher laws. Islam has Halal. Catholics abstain from meat on Lenten Fridays. GW/CC also promotes dietary restrictions both as an act of signaling a belonging and an act to help prevent The Doom. The restrictions can run from a fairly non-inconvenient abstaining from beef to full-blown veganism. The severity of the restriction both depends upon and signals the level of devotion of the follower.
- The Feast: All religions have their holidays (holy days) including GW/CC. The one holiday observed by the GW/CC Devout is The Feast of V.I. Lenin, more commonly known as Earth Day (the first Earth Day was held on the 100th birthday of V.I. Lenin). Earth Day is an international holiday where all the causes and concerns of the Environmental Movement, including GW/CC, are promoted to the public.
Eden, the Fall, Apocalypse, Paradise, Prophets, Saints, Scriptures, Doctrine, Infallibles, Ecumenical Council, Curia, Evangels, Believers, Infidels, Heresy, Original Sin, Sale of Indulgences, Sacraments, Redemption, Dietary Restrictions, Holidays…
So, to the triggered Leftist who believes that they’ve just been slandered and who is now indignantly protesting that they are far too enlightened to ever practice a religion, I have to ask, “You sure ’bout that?” Because, the way that I see it is: If it stalks like a polar bear, mauls seals like a polar bear, and defecates on the ice like a polar bear, then it’s probably a polar bear (Monnett and Gleason might want to take note here).
And to the members of the GW/CC Curia, whether they are acting in the United States Congress or acting more locally: I have had enough. I am here and now affirming my Constitutional Right enumerated in the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States. As such, I will honor no GW/CC treaty that you sign. I will obey no GW/CC law that you pass. I will pay no GW/CC tax that you levy. You are Constitutionally bound not to take any such action. And if you do so anyway, then it will be an unconstitutional act and I am free to not comply.
And, I will not comply.Published in