The Hill of Crosses in Lithuania is where rebellion and faith meet. Kryžių kalnas, or the Hill of Crosses, is a pilgrimage site north of the city of Šiauliai, in northern Lithuania. It is believed the first crosses were placed on the former Jurgaičiai or Domantai hill fort after the 1831 Uprising against Russia. Not only crosses and crucifixes, but statues of the Virgin Mary, carvings of Lithuanian patriots and thousands of tiny effigies and rosaries have been placed on the hill by Catholic pilgrims. The exact number of crosses on the hill is unknown, but estimates put it at about 55,000 in 1990 and 100,000 in 2006.
From 1944 to 1990, the decades of Soviet Union domination and occupation, the Lithuanians continued to place crucifixes, crosses, and rosaries on the hill. A reminder of their allegiance to their Catholic faith and their nation. The Russians tried to destroy the site several times by bulldozing and removing crosses. One of the attempts to destroy the site was made as late as 1963, and another was made in 1973.More