Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
I’m going to pose several questions. I don’t have definitive answers to these questions. If Joe Biden is elected President of the United States we may not know if what I am about to describe will play out or not. But I think it’s important to ask the questions.
- Is it more likely, given Hunter Biden’s salacious history, that rather than Donald Trump, certain Russians associated with Vladimir Putin or Russian-sympathetic Ukrainians have compromising information on Joe Biden’s son that they may be poised to release or use as leverage to influence a Biden administration?
- Is it possible that Joe Biden’s Secretary of State may make overtures to the Iranian regime to restore relations even to the point of reauthorizing the JCPOA, so Iran can continue to develop and produce fissionable material in an unrestrained manner in an effort to make nuclear warheads for an arsenal of ICBMs?
- Is it possible or probable that Iran will test Joe Biden’s resolve and act provocatively by aiding in attacks on Israel through proxies like Hezbollah and Hamas or other bad actors?
- Is it possible that China will test a new Biden administration by moving against Taiwan, perhaps through financial sanctions or seizing Taiwan assets in mainland China, or a more adventurous military move on the island, like a naval blockade or a first strike on Taiwan air bases?
- If Russia advances troops across their border into Ukraine as they did in annexing Crimea during Obama’s presidency; or launches provocative actions in Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, or in the Balkans – how do you think a Biden administration will respond?
- What do you think the response would be from a Biden administration or National Security team if these nations – Russia, China, Iran – coordinated their actions to occur at the same time or in very rapid succession of one another, even working with other smaller countries with a history of antagonism to the US and its allies (Venezuela, North Korea, Syria) to present a fast-moving, compounding multi-theater challenge?
- The election in America is less than a month away. Do you know who Joe Biden’s foreign policy, national security, and military advisors are apart from Secretary-of-State-for-Life John Kerry (Lt. Col. Vindman, Fiona Hill, James Mattis?) and whether or not anyone in the defense and intelligence community has had an opportunity to brief Biden on potential threats and possible scenarios? Is Biden reading any foreign intelligence or threat assessments during his <cough> grueling campaign schedule or before he settles down for his frequent naps at his home?
- Finally, if any of this is likely to occur, do you think that Joe Biden has the mental acuity to process what is happening, cogently listen to and sort out the best strategic and tactical advice from both those in DoD and State, and act coherently and unequivocally to push back against these nations? Or would he make concessions or appease any of these nations and let then pursue their escapades? Does Joe Biden’s understanding or his misreading of foreign policy over the years give you confidence that he is up to the task? Has he demonstrated a profound understanding of foreign policy threats and opportunities throughout his political career or even in the last six months?