Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
The invasion reached Beverly Hills this weekend. I wonder how many of the residents of that neighborhood have given money and support to the Marxist Black Lives Matter organization? We have discussed here on Ricochet that wealthy leftists, including many celebrities, have used their donations to such organizations as “protection money” so that they will […]
This Tuesday, June 23, 2020, Joe Biden held a virtual fundraiser which featured former President Barack Obama. The event included a discussion or conversation between Biden and Obama and, in that conversation, Obama made an assertion that stunned me. Let me post a video which includes the assertion in question. The video is about 2 […]
Lee Edwards joined Culture Editor Emily Jashinsky and Senior Editor Christopher Bedford to compare the modern upheaval of the far left to that of the 1960s. Edwards is a Distinguished Fellow in Conservative Thought at The Heritage Foundation and has been involved in center right politics since the 1960s since he co-founded the Young Americans for Freedom Foundation. He also served as the communications director for Barry Goldwater, has authored dozens of books, and has been called the “voice of the silent majority” by The New York Times.
Edwards said the behavioral differences are that the far left protesters in the late 1960s aimed to work within the constitutional order. Their legal goals were achieved through debate and discussion rather than an uncompromising, unproductive destruction of founding principles and physical representations of those principles.
An NBA program, carried on ESPN and intended to promote the left’s line on race, went a bit sideways. June 23 on NBA Game Time, Isiah Thomas, a basketball great with a master’s degree in education, called for an end to the use of race as an official classification, arguing that it has been misused for bad purposes from its origin. The young woman interviewing him had to smile through the interview, however much this was heresy in the present political moment. His comments accord more with the long time position of Alexander Hamilton III, a lawyer and American Family Radio daily talk show host. Contra Dennis Prager, the answer is not to be “colorblind.” Rather, we should learn from Deuteronomy 16:19, and not the “1619 Project.”
Isiah Thomas earned an education master’s degree at UC Berkeley in 2013. His study focused on the education and life outcomes for black male college athletes.* Instead of promoting the Democrat Party line, Thomas called for an end to the use of “race” as a classification label. He did so on the basis of theories and histories of “racialization,” the invention and development of this relatively new way of labeling and dividing people. Isiah Thomas noted that our government, starting at the national level, has four boxes: national origin, citizenship, ethnicity, and race. It is his position that race has been defined and used for ill purpose and should be eliminated from official programs. You get plenty of descriptive categorization from national origin, citizenship, and ethnicity.
I recently called for the White House to show they believe that all black lives matter, using the beginning of week press briefing among other venues. That is exactly how Kayleigh McEnany started out this Monday’s press briefing. This theme was also highlighted by a young black woman speaking at President Trump’s invitation in Phoenix […]
I recently heard of a former FBI agent named Cleon Skousen who wrote a book called, “Naked Communism”, in 1958. He laid out the goals of communism that were eventually added into the Congressional Records on Jan. 10th, 1963 (appendix A34 – A35). Interestingly, quite a few of those goals seem to be in today’s news and events. See how many you can check off:
- U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
- U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
- Develop the illusion that total disarmament by the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
- Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
- Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
- Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
- Grant recognition to Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
- Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
- Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
- Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
- Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces.
- Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
- Do away with loyalty oaths.
- Continue giving Russia access to U.S. Patent Office.
- Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
- Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
- Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
- Gain control of all student newspapers.
- Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
- Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policy-making positions.
- Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
- Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. (An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”)
- Control art critics and directors of art museums.
- Eliminate all laws of obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
- Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
- Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
- Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
- Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
- Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
- Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
- Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
- Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture—education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
- Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
- Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
- Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
- Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
- Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
- Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand or treat.
- Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
- Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity, masturbation and easy divorce.
- Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
- Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use “united force” to solve economic, political or social problems.
- Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
- Internationalize the Panama Canal.
- Repeal the “Connally Reservation” so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction over nations and individuals alike.
I received one of those awful mea colpa marketing emails today from the Chicago Shakespeare Theater with the BLM stamp of approval. They are “examining their own complicity in systemic racism.” The same sorts of steps that we have all seen in emails from other associations and vendors were outlined, etc etc. For many reasons […]
Lionel Shriver joins host Ben Domenech to discuss the popularity of fitness and how it cultivates an image-obsessed culture, and the left’s recent attempts to silence those who disagree with their ideas. Shriver is an author and journalist, and her most recent book is “The Motion of the Body Through Space.”
Shriver uses her new novel to explore the emerging religious aspect to fitness, and how one’s physique is now the ultimate measure of their success and ability. This newfound focus on health and fitness has become a competitive battle that no one can win since there is no end goal. Shiver compared this idea to the recent protests for racial equality, as neither cause has a desired achievement that would complete their efforts.
The constant attacks on American citizens who are white are absurd and insulting. The commentary insisting that all whites must be racist is bizarre and on a closer look, based on no facts at all. I’ve decided that I’ve had enough of these intended insults. (I can only be insulted if I accept the observations.) I’m pushing back. I realize that some black Americans and people on the Left would be outraged at my ideas, and if they had the opportunity would vehemently chastise me.
I don’t care.
I only care about living a life of integrity, about being a good person to my fellow man (no matter what the person’s color is), and to make good choices. No person has the right to force me to think or behave in a particular way—a person can certainly try, but I will ignore their intimidation tactics and efforts to humiliate me.
Our intense national debate over race is not an honest discussion. The cancel culture has effectively silenced one side.
Politicians and commentators can defame conscientious police officers, claim America is a cesspool of bigotry, and even call for the assassination of the President without consequences.
In contrast, those who disagree with Black Lives Matter have been shamed and fired for asserting “all lives matter,” “the president may use federal force to quell domestic threats,” and “it’s disrespectful to kneel during the national anthem.”
Yesha Callahan (Essence Magazine) and Bridget bond over their shared fear of being trampled in a crowd, their mutual disdain for agents, and marvel at the spectacular idiocy of people behaving badly in public in the age of camera phones. Yesha covers growing up poor in a house full of extended family, what led her to a career in HR, and how she jumped into a career as a writer on a late night talk show. She shares her darkest moments after being laid off and struggling to support her son, working as a freelance writer, and taking the advice of a best friend to “act like a white lady” and ask for a job at The Root. She and Bridget discuss Black Lives Matter, why she loves TikTok, why she doesn’t believe that struggle makes you stronger, how white people are afraid of saying anything wrong, and the least racist country she’s ever traveled to.
Full transcript available here: WiW84-YeshaCallahan-Transcript
The BSA just can’t seem to help itself or scouting, assuming that is really what the national committee and council committees really want. I was on a troop committee meeting call last night and they were discussing the new BLM-inspired Diversity & Inclusion merit badge which will be required to earn Eagle Scout. Being on […]
Back before the election in December James and Toby worried about their fate under a Corbyn Government. Now the Cultural Revolution is back with a vengeance and the worries return, particularly if more left-wing college graduates lose their jobs.
Also, should we shut down The Guardian because of its links to the slave trade and the row created by Boris’s new race relations tsar.
Shelby Steele joined host Ben Domenech to discuss the state of the nation and the underlying historical causes into modern tensions. Steele is a renowned author, expert, and Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution specializing in the study of race relations, multiculturalism, and affirmative action.
Steele argued that today’s racial tensions are caused by an outgrowth of a change in racial understanding from the 1960s. The ’60s, he said, produced a “redemptive liberalism” in an effort to rid America of past experiences of racism, particularly on the left. The recent trend of corporations publicly declaring their support of Black Lives Matter, which reveals the incessant desire to be innocent of the past.
I love Patrick Mahomes. I’ve never met him, but as a lifelong Kansas City Chiefs fan I love that he’s our quarterback, not only because he won us our first Super Bowl in fifty years, but because he’s a passionate leader, and I’m not the only one who thinks so. Patrick Mahomes is the face […]
The Watchman report – “We need to talk” Sunday sermon – In this video taped discussion, there is a minor sermon on Josuah and the man with the sword. Preview Open
We’ve seen news outlets ignore looting and murder while reporting “mostly peaceful” demonstrations. A week ago, 60 Secret Service officers were wounded by “mostly peaceful protestors” who likely also set fire to a historical Episcopalian Church. After AG Barr reset the protest line a block away to better protect police and historical landmarks, the usual suspects accused Orange Man Bad of clearing “peaceful protestors” for a photo op. Just one of thousands of truths that don’t fit the narrative for many alleged journalists. Most importantly, there are the murdered, the wounded, and those charged with felonies in connection with this assault on our nation.
I tried searching on this topic and found next to nothing. I have seen many murders and beatings on YouTube, but the search engines that can find a gnat named Bernie in Tierra del Fuego are stumped. It is very hard not to be cynical.
There are some who would like to see that the names are not seen, the stories not known. Mike Pence as reported by Fox News: