I’m 51 years old.
When I was a kid, there was an expression I heard all the time. “It’s a free country.” Usually uttered whenever somebody said “You can’t do that.” “Yes I can – it’s a free country.”
I literally cannot remember the last time I heard somebody say this.
And don’t try to tell me that it’s Obama’s fault, or Bush’s, or 9/11 and the Patriot Act. The loss of this expression far predates any of those. I don’t even recall hearing it during…
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.