While I prefer workfare to welfare for some to keep the rolls honest, other folks are on welfare because they truly can’t compete – the very young, the very old and the very sick. Social Security is not socialism, but a Capitalist’s moral safety net
Two points to be made here.
First – we don’t buy and own welfare recipients with our largess, and certainly don’t want someone who may have had some bad beats in life to suffer the further indignity of being told they aren’t worthy of the occasional guilty pleasure of an orange crush.
Second – as the illustration from Friedrich Hayek’s work suggests, once we give government any power over our freedoms, they’ll take the rest. Remember, Mayor (Nanny) Bloomberg’s ban on trans fats applies to all of us – not just food stamp recipients.
Hey Mayor Bloomberg – If you want to share an historical signal with early 20th century fascists, keep the trains running on time like Mussolini did. Beyond that, leave your neighbor alone!
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.