Well, it looks like Obama has made good on at least one campaign promise. Remember this?
Now get a load of this update from NASA’s Sea Level Sentinels:
For the past 18 years, the U.S./French Jason-1, Jason-2 and Topex/Poseidon spacecraft have been monitoring the gradual rise of the world’s ocean in response to global warming.
While the rise of the global ocean has been remarkably steady for most of this time, every once in a while, sea level rise hits a speed bump. This past year, it’s been more like a pothole: between last summer and this one, global sea level actually fell by about a quarter of an inch, or half a centimeter.
Not having much else to campaign on (last I heard, Obama’s team was devising a strategy that would emphasize his success with the auto bailouts!), I advise the President to make falling sea levels the central plank of his reelection platform. I can hear the makings of an advertisement already:
Barack Obama is a promise keeper. In just one term, he stewarded a drop in the global sea level and oversaw the healing of the planet. Reelect Obama in 2012. The earth depends on it.
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.