In delivering his Berlin Wall address, President Reagan overruled the objections of the National Security Council and the State Department. Here, a couple of documents from the Reagan library. One, an NSC memorandum to Colin Powell, then Deputy National Security Advisor, calls the address “a mediocre speech and a missed opportunity.” The other shows the NSC edits. Note what the NSC deleted.
What Ronald Reagan was up against.
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.