It’s late August, so it’s more pop culture than politics on the podcast this week as we tackle Mad Men, vampires, South Pacific, the Drambuie mistake, and the definition of a bunco party. Then, columnist Virginia Postrel joins us for an boots-on-the-ground report of the LA Obama-Jam, why Michelle isn’t Jackie, the allegedly non-functioning U.S. Senate, and the Target controversy. So sit back and grab a martini: it’s a podcast best enjoyed shaken, not stirred.
And now the links:
- Behold the mistakenly delivered bottle of Drambuie!
- You Only Live Twice on IMDB
- Production Designer Ken Adam’s Wikipedia entry
- Justin Bieber sings slowly
- George Packer’s New Yorker piece on the broken U.S. Senate
- Todd Purdum’s similarly themed article in Vanity Fair
- Virginia Postrel’s Atlantic piece on Obama and glamour
- Jeri Ryan makes Lileks’ life worth living
- The dog barking in the background is Rob’s beloved Lab Illy
Music from this week’s episode:
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.