As I write these words, at around 11 p.m. Los Angeles time, my daughter lies sleeping in the next room. I gave her a few extra hugs and kisses today, just as many of you did with your own children. Soon I too will be sleeping, but as I go to bed I will be thinking of those touched by today’s horrors in Connecticut, the parents for whom sleep may never again come easily.
Much will be written in the coming days about what might have been done to prevent those horrors and what might be done to prevent future ones. I here offer my opinion, one based on a long career as a police officer: The only effective remedy for a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Or, even better, several good guys with guns. Everything else is wishful thinking.
I can’t wait to see my child in the morning. My prayers go out for those so cruelly and eternally deprived of that pleasure.
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.