Suppose President Obama wins reelection, but is greeted by a Republican House and perhaps a Republican Senate. I argue at Fox News that Obama’s negative campaign has deprived him of any claim to a mandate, which will leave him without any influence over legislative reform on the great challenges facing us in domestic policy. Moreover, if this campaign has shown us anything, it has been that progressivism has become intellectually exhausted.
This time, however, we won’t see the happy state of affairs that prevailed from 1994 to 2000, when the Gingrich Congress stalemated Bill Clinton and the paralysis allowed the economy to grow. Instead, President Obama will be left to act out his liberal dreams using his executive and regulatory powers. This will leave us with a new kind of White House, which I call the “passive-aggresive presidency.”
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.