This just in:
AGI) Tripoli – The outgoing premier of Libya’s NTC, Mahmoud Jibril, has announced that nuclear weapons were found in the country. It was reported by TV network Al Arabiya. Muammar Gaddafi officially gave up his nuclear weapons program in 2004 in a bid to strengthen Libya’s ties with the West. Jibril also said that the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will provide further details on the weapons found in the next few days …
An update clarifies that they were “nuclear materials,” not nuclear weapons. It’s hard to say what they found from this, but this could challenge a few conventional ideas–among them that Qaddafi had abandoned his nuclear program in response to seeing what happened to Saddam, that he posed no strategic threat to his neighbors, and that the IAEA can find its rear end with two hands and then distinguish it from a hole in the ground.
We’ll know more soon enough, I suppose.
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.