A thought experiment: on last week’s installment of the flagship podcast, Peter asked Andy Ferguson what President Obama needed to say today in his second inaugural address. Andy’s witty dodge (“I resign”) struck me as as good of an answer as someone on our side of the aisle could give. As a former speechwriter, I’m always struck by how difficult hypotheticals like this (“Imagine your entire system of political values is turned upside down — now sell it!”) are to answer.
With the President only moments away from delivering the speech, I thus put the question to you: is there anything Barack Obama could say today that would give you some glimmer of hope that you could expect something better from his second term than his first?
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.