Transcript from dispatch center:
911 Operator: 9-1-1, what is your emergency?
Caller: I’m calling from 1324 Elm Street. I’m upstairs hiding in a closet, and some men with guns just broke in downstairs and they’re robbing my family.
Operator: Hmmm. 1324 Elm Street. I don’t think we have anyone in that area.
Operator: Well, that’s pretty far from the police station. I don’t think we can have anyone get there in time.
Caller: But they’re downstairs right now! I can hear them! They’re threatening to kill my family!
Operator: And besides, we can’t send officers into harm’s way without knowing what’s going on.
Caller: But I just told you what’s going on! There are men downstairs with guns robbing us and threatening to kill my family!
Operator: Are you sure you didn’t do anything to bring this on? Have you angered these men in some way? Does your family have a history of disrespecting their faith traditions, perhaps?
Gunshots and screaming are heard in the background.
Caller: They’re shooting them now! They’re killing them! Are you sending anyone?
More gunshots and screaming, then silence.
Caller: Hello? Are you there?
Operator: Yes, I’m here.
Caller: I just heard the men leave. I think my whole family is dead. Is anyone coming?
Operator: What difference, at this point, does it make?
Operator: We’ll send someone out in a couple weeks to investigate.
A click is heard as the line goes dead.
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.