I recall that after Barack Obama won the presidency in 2008, a run on guns and ammo ensued. People feared that the election of Democrats to control of the White House, Senate, and House portended fresh gun control measures. I wonder whether a similar rush to gun stores is occurring now. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence?
But my more serious question is, if one were going to go out and a buy a first firearm, what would it be? Most would say a shotgun for home defense. After one gets a shotgun, what would be the first handgun you would buy? What are the virtues of, say, a Glock versus a Sig Sauer or a Smith & Wesson? Go for a revolver or a semi-automatic? What caliber?
From the postings on Ricochet, it sounds like there are many gun owners. Time to share your knowledge while the gun stores still have some inventory.
By the way, for what it’s worth, I think the Supreme Court’s decision in McDonald v. City of Chicago makes new gun controls — Bob Costas pleas to the contrary — very difficult, if not impossible.
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.