I am having a debate with some friends (one of whom is an Australian moderate and the other is a non-religious/fiscally conservative Republican). Both contend: 1) the GOP has moved rightward over the years on social issues and 2) the GOP is beholden to the religious right. Of course, they also say if the Republican party does not drop the socially conservative planks of the platform–which they both view as too moralistic–the party is destined for demise.
My feeling is that the GOP i…
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.