Norway mass murder suspect Anders Behring Breivik has been ruled insane. This means he can’t be sentenced to prison but can be confined to a mental hospital for the rest of his life. I don’t know much about Norway’s legal system, but I do know that the maximum penalty anyone can receive — even if you kill 77 people in a horrific day of bombing and shooting — is 21 years. So perhaps this ruling is just a way to confine someone who otherwise would be free to kill and terrorise again by the time…
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.