Could this be serious? It was reported on the front page of Dawn, in Pakistan. My computer’s been broken for two days, so I haven’t been able to check the news. Has there been any wide reaction to this?
WASHINGTON: The United States has strongly supported Pakistan’s move to ban certain internet sites, saying the Pakistani government had the right to protect its public from offensive images and speech.
Assistant Secretary of State Philip J. Crowley, apparently, said:
… “Pakistan is wrestling to this issue. We respect any actions that need to be taken under Pakistani law to protect their citizens from offensive speech,” said the US State Department official while rejecting a suggestion from a journalist to condemn Islamabad’s actions.
If he really said this, and if no one in the West has noticed he said it — and gone appropriately insane about it — we’re doomed.
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.