Whatever the case, Hillary Clinton’s attempt to take a political hit for President Obama ought to satisfy no one. Not that Clinton doesn’t bear some responsibility for the safety and security of diplomatic personnel; of course she does and indeed, any Secretary of State ought to assume some responsibility if something bad happens to our embassy or consular staff anywhere in the world. But last I checked, Harry Truman never lent out his “The Buck Stops Here” sign to either George Marshall or to Dean Acheson. He kept it in the Oval Office.
If President Obama finds it too painful or politically difficult to accept responsibility for the disaster in Benghazi, then perhaps he ought to give way to a new president–one less likely to sell out a Cabinet member for the sake of political expediency, and more likely to personally take charge of any investigation in order to make sure that what happened in Benghazi never again happens anywhere else.
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.