This perennial burner came up yet again in Mr. Bildo’s thread about a marijuana initiative in Washington. The question seems to be often raised on Ricochet yet rarely answered: can we legalize risky recreational activities (such as gambling, marijuana, motorcycle riding without helmets, etc.) when we have the safety nets of welfare and Medicaid, or will the moral hazard bankrupt the state? So let’s have at it.
Here is my take. Most people know how to act responsibly, and those who don’t …
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.