Since the GOP doesn’t get a chance to deliver a rebuttal to inaugural addresses, we’ve decided to turn the responsibility over to the Ricochetti. Throughout the day, we’ll be posting excerpts from the president’s speech and giving you the chance to respond and rebut in the comments. First up, entitlements and the safety net:
For we remember the lessons of our past, when twilight years were spent in poverty and parents of a child with a disability had nowhere to turn. We do not believe that in this country freedom is reserved for the lucky or happiness for the few. We recognize that no matter how responsibly we live our lives, any one of us at any time may face a job loss or a sudden illness or a home swept away in a terrible storm. The commitments we make to each other through Medicare and Medicaid and Social Security, these things do not sap our initiative.They strengthen us.
They do not make us a nation of takers. They free us to take the risks that make this country great.
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.