It is a wise thing to be polite; consequently, it is a stupid thing to be rude. To make enemies by unnecessary and willful incivility, is just as insane a proceeding as to set your house on fire. For politeness is like a counter–an avowedly false coin, with which it is foolish to be stingy.
And here’s Locke:
There cannot be greater rudeness than to interrupt another in the current of his discourse.
Perhaps someday, Joe Biden will be quiet long enough to actually read Schopenhauer and Locke and learn something from them on how to behave, though I presume that we will have to take up a collection in order to send him a carton of Chapstick so that he can get through the two authors’ books.
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.