Looking for something to watch this evening? With, perhaps, some historical interest? Try “Mushrooms of Concrete,” a brief documentary–it lasts less than half an hour–this is both beautiful and heartbreaking
The mushrooms in question are the three-quarters of a million of domed concrete bunkers that the Communist dictator Enver Hoxha constructed in Albania during the more than four decades of his rule. Yes, three quarters of a million bunkers–in a tiny, poor, backward country, of fewer than three million inhabitants that no other nation ever evinced any interest in invading.
Twenty-five minutes on the beauty of a country enfolded in the mountains on the Adriatic, the dignity of ordinary people–and the madness of Communism.
Join Ricochet to be part of the smartest and most civil conversation on the web.
- Engage in great conversations on just about any topic on our exclusive Member Feed.
- Write your own posts and let the world know what you think.
- Interact with our contributors as well as fellow members.
- Have your voice heard by opinion-makers and political insiders.
- Attend our legendary Ricochet member meet-ups that take place all across the country and around the world.