Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
After watching these two brief interviews with Senator Rand Paul (see clips below), and also with his wife Kelley in the second interview, I can only hope that the FBI and local law enforcement have assigned additional 24/7 security to him and his family. It reminds me of the police squad car and officers that were stationed at Governor Walker’s house in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin 24 hours a day/7 days a week following all the death threats against him and his family after the passage of Act 10 (and the weeks-long violent occupation of the Wisconsin state capitol building). Walker has since moved out of Wauwatosa (it’s turning blue, unfortunately, for various reasons), but I remember being reassured (the house is on a main thoroughfare near my parents’ home) that there was a 24/7 police presence whether or not the family was there or at the governor’s mansion in Madison.
Also, after listening to Kelley Paul describe her experience getting the mail, all of the Paul family’s mail and packages should be put through security screening before it is delivered to their home. I would expect, naturally, that the details of his security arrangements are not revealed or discussed publicly, and as the Newsmax article Stad linked to in his post titled “I’m In Love With Rand Paul’s Wife” noted, the Paul family are prepared to defend themselves regardless.
There are a lot of things I didn’t know or had incorrect knowledge of that are revealed in these two interviews. I won’t detail them all, but the seriousness of Paul’s injuries from being attacked (entirely without warning – it was not after an argument or heated discussion) by his neighbor, his long, painful, and ongoing recovery, his neighbor’s hateful political social media posts, the number of threats Paul receives on social media on a daily basis, Twitter’s inaction on most of the threats and hate directed at Paul, CNN’s broadcast of the location of Paul’s home, the lack of public or private support from Paul’s Democrat colleagues, and how celebrities (Stephen Colbert, Bette Midler, Richard Marx, etc.) make light of and encourage further violence against him. Here’s a list of the violence and attempted violence against Rand Paul and his family in the last few years:
- 06/14/17 – Carrying a written list of Republican politicians and asking whether Republicans or Democrats were practicing at the Alexandria, Virginia baseball diamond, leftwing political activist and Bernie Sanders supporter James Hodgkinson opened fire on the Republican congressmen and others playing baseball there, including Rand Paul. Hodgkinson shot four people, seriously injuring Republican House Majority Whip Steve Scalise and lobbyist Matt Mika. Were it not for the presence of plainclothes Capitol Police officers who immediately engaged and eventually killed Hodgkinson, it would have been a massacre.
- 11/03/17 – Rand Paul, who is deaf in one ear, was wearing noise-cancelling headphones while mowing his lawn, when his neighbor Rene Boucher surprised and attacked him causing Paul to sustain broken ribs (three of which were displaced fractures). Lingering complications and infections caused by these injuries resulted in surgery to have part of Paul’s lung removed in 2019. (Further details are described in the interview clips below.)
- 08/27/20 – After leaving the White House grounds following Donald Trump’s keynote speech at the Republican National Convention, Rand Paul and his wife were surrounded and threatened with violence by protesters while walking to their hotel. A protester pushed one of the police officers that formed a perimeter to protect the Pauls. The police officer’s injury required stitches and the protester was charged with assault.
- 05/23/21 – Singer and songwriter Richard Marx tweeted “I’ll say it again: If I ever meet Rand Paul’s neighbor I’m going to hug him and buy him as many drinks as he can consume.” The tweet has since been removed by Twitter, but only after Paul received the death threat package filled with white powder.
- 05/24/21 – A package featuring an image of an injured and bandaged Rand Paul with a gun to his head and the words “I’ll finish what your neighbor started you motherf*****” typed below was delivered to his Kentucky home. The package, picked up and carried into the home by Kelley Paul, contained an undisclosed quantity of a white powdery substance. Further details in the interviews below:
So, do we need a 9/11-style commission to examine the ongoing violent threats from leftists against a sitting U.S. Senator and his family? Who else in our government has been physically and verbally attacked and threatened with violence more in the last four years than Rand Paul?
Pray for the safety of Rand Paul and his family, and don’t let leftists dismiss, make light of, or attempt to “memory hole” these acts of political violence.Published in