Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
Much has been said about whether polls are reliable or not. Some people believe that voters are lying to pollsters because they don’t want to admit to anyone—not even a pollster—that they plan to vote for Trump. Whether that is true or not is impossible to determine, but the uncertainty dampens one’s enthusiasm for poll results.
Even if you don’t believe in polls, however, it must be a bit disconcerting even for the most ardent Trump supporter to see how Biden seems to be far ahead. But what if the Democrats are lying to pollsters, too?
Think about it: there are many independents and relatively sane Democrats who will say they are voting for Biden, because the Democrats demand their allegiance. Yet they are learning that Biden has difficulty putting two sentences together; he spent over 40 years in government and had a mixed, if not mediocre track record; he is trying to be a moderate and a progressive at the same time; he proposes new programs that are “hashed-over Trump” ideas or proposals that are too vague to be substantive. So, they may pick Biden when they answer pollsters, but will they push the button for him in the voting booth?
As much as they dislike Biden, however, why in the world would they vote for Trump?
Here are just a few reasons:
- In spite of all the negative propaganda, some of Trump’s successes have leaked out; some Democrats may have benefited from the improved economy before the coronavirus. Trump is actually getting things done.
- Democrats have always celebrated intelligence. No matter how annoying Trump is, he’s crafty. And no matter how smart Biden was 20 years ago, his mind is not operating on all cylinders.
- As of September 2019, Gallup found that trust in the mass media had dropped to 41%. Who knows whether the distrust affects the credibility of the media reports for Democrats?
- Although the media doesn’t report on it, the nastiness expressed by Congressional Democrats against Republicans continues to grow. For those who watched the House Judiciary Committee hearing with Attorney General Barr, for example, it was a bash-fest of unimagined proportions.
- Many Democrats in the large cities experiencing riots must be dismayed at the lawlessness and the fecklessness of their mayors and governors. That perception may take the edge off of voting for Trump.
Perhaps most importantly, Democrats could be worried about their very survival: will they die of coronavirus? Will their cities be invaded by rioters who kill them and burn down businesses? Will law enforcement be ineffectual? Will their homes be burned down next? Even if riots aren’t occurring in their cities, will they be next? Will Joe Biden make a difference in this time of crisis? Will there ever be peace in this country again?
Another question they may be asking themselves is whether they can trust their legislators to do anything since the Democrats in Congress have essentially done nothing and many are working remotely. Democrat mayors and governors were given control over managing the coronavirus; many of their actions, however, have been illogical, inept, and destructive. Although there are many people who hate Trump, and their political lives orbit around that hatred, I believe that some Democrats, who might actually be practical, will look at the continuous attacks on Trump and at least start asking questions: as much as I personally dislike him, could he possibly be as bad as the Democrats describe him? How could a man like William Barr, who has always been known as a principled man, be serving a man who is described as so self-serving and incompetent? Should I vote for Biden even though he is showing signs of dementia?
And finally, do we want to vote for a new President when our Democrat leaders, locally and nationally, are putting our lives at risk? At least Trump is the devil we know.
I don’t think the Democrats will vote for Trump in droves, but I think they may be questioning the veracity of their party and wonder if Biden is going to be good for the country. Their votes will count.
Tuesday, November 3 can’t arrive soon enough.Published in