Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
Fifty-eight countries are now reporting COVID-19 cases. First cases reported in the following countries (with source of infection): Belarus (Iran); Lithuania (Italy); Nigeria (Italy); Mexico (Italy); New Zealand (Iran); Azerbaijan (Iran?). Latest news from Worldometer.com:
- Italy to release its daily coronavirus report in a press briefing at 17:00 GMT [source]
- 1 new death of a British man who was on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan. [source]
- 2 new cases in Romania: both had recently traveled to Italy. [source]
- 11 new cases in Germany [source]
- 1 new case in the Netherlands “has no link to the first patient.” The patient is in home quarantine in the town of Diemen, 6 kilometres southeast of Amsterdam’s city centre. [source] [source]
- 3 new cases in the UK, including:
– 1st in Wales: a person who had traveled to Italy. [source]
– 2 in England: “the virus was passed on in Iran and the patients have been transferred to specialist NHS infection centres at the Royal Free Hospital.” in London [source]
- 7 new cases in Switzerland. [source]
– currently there is “no case where one would have lost the chain of infection in Switzerland“.
– events with more than 1,000 people are now banned in response to the coronavirus threat. “The ban comes into force with immediate effect and is valid until March 15 at least.” The Geneva Motor Show (scheduled to start on March 5) is going to be cancelled or postponed. [source]
- 8 new cases in Spain. Total cases include: [source]
5 cases in Madrid
8 in the Valencia area
6 in Andalusia
6 in the Canary Islands
3 in Catalonia
2 in Castilla y León
1 in Aragon
1 in Balearic Islands
Today’s new cases include: (first in Aragon): a 27-year-old woman in Zaragoza who had recentlytraveled to Milan, Italy. [source]
- 1 new case in France (first in Nice): a woman returning from Milan, Italy. [source]
- 1 new case in Greece: a Greek woman aged 36, who had recently traveled to one of the virus-stricken regions in Italy and developed mild symptoms after her return.
- 2 new cases in Croatia (Zagreb and Rijeka): contacts of the first and third cases in Croatia. The first case got infected after being in Milan, Italy for a match, the second is his brother, and the third is a person in Rijeka who works in Italy.
- 2 new cases in France, in the village of La Balme-de-Sillingy, in Haute-Savoie: they are relatives of the first contaminated in the town: a man who had returned from a trip to Italy and whose wife, friend, and friend’s wife then contracted the virus. The infected friends had then participated to a 120-guest gathering on Feb. 15. “It is quite possible that there are many more cases in our town,” said the mayor, who admits “being worried“. [source]
- 1st case in Belarus: a citizens of Iran, who arrived on a flight from Baku on Feb. 22. Given the deteriorating epidemic in South Korea, Iran and Italy, the Ministry of Health had disposed since Feb. 20 that people from these countries be tested upon arrival. [source]
- 1st case in Lithuania: a 39-year-old woman who came to Kaunas after visiting Verona, Italy. [source]
[ Feb. 28 News ↑ ]MIDDLE EAST
- 143 new cases and 8 deaths in Iran
– Iran’s former ambassador to the Vatican, Hadi Khosroshahi, has died of coronavirus: he was 80 years-old and had a pre exisiting condition.
- 2 hotels in Abu Dhabi have been put in an effective lockdown by authorities after two Italians in the country for the UAE Tour cycling race tested positive for the coronavirus. [source]
- 3 new cases in Bahrain [source]
- 1 new case in Israel: contact of the first confirmed case (a person returning from Italy). First transmission within Israel. [source]
[ Feb. 28 News ↑ ]AFRICA
- 1st case in Nigeria: an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy to Lagos, Nigeria on Feb. 25. [source] [source]
[ Feb. 28 News ↑ ]NORTH AMERICA
- 1st case in Mexico (Mexico City): a man who had recently travelled to Northern Italy [source]
- 1 new case in Canada (Quebec): a woman who had returned to Montreal from a trip to Iran on a flight from Doha, Qatar. She went to a clinic on Feb. 24, with minor symptoms. She did not take public transit to get to the clinic, and she hadn’t gone back to work since returning from Iran, so she has “limited contact” with people in the community. [source] [source]
[ Feb. 28 News ↑ ]OCEANIA
- 1st case in New Zealand:
- A person, in their 60s, who had recently travelled to Iran
- They arrived in NZ on Feb. 26 via Emirates flight EK450 from Iran, via Bali, and travelled home in a private car
- The person’s family, who were wearing medical masks, went to Auckland City Hospital where the person was admitted. The person is now a stable condition
- First two tests, taken from a throat sample, were negative . The symptoms of a lung infection were present though so a third test was done, coming back positive
- New Zealanders who have returned from Iran in the last 14 days asked to self isolateand register with Healthline.
- 1 new case in Australia from the Diamond Princess cuise ship.
[ Feb. 28 News ↑ ]ASIA
- 1st case in Azerbaijan
- 571 new cases in South Korea. [source] [source]
- 12 new cases and 1 death in Japan.
– Hokkaido declares state of emergency and urges people to stay at home
– Tokyo Disney Resort and Universal Studios Japan being closed for at least 2 weeks
- 1 new death on teh Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan: a Japanese woman in her 70s. [source]
- 2 new cases in Taiwan.
- 1 new case in Thailand.
- 327 new cases and 44 new deaths (of which 318 cases and 41 deaths in Hubei) occurred in China on Feb. 27, as reported by the National Health Commission (NHC) of China. [source]