The famous dictum of Rahm Emanuel never to let a crisis go to waste is being applied with full force using the Australian wildfires. Much of the world now tacitly believes this ancient seasonal event is the result of climate change. The doctrinaire leftist Australian Broadcasting Company (ABC) is leading the charge. In the US, NPR and the rest of the hive are dutifully selling the same narrative. Some facts they will ignore as inconvenient:
- Australia has suffered wildfires every dry season since before recorded history. Aboriginal peoples used controlled burning both to prevent larger fires and to keep an optimal distribution of open grassland, scrub brush and forest for hunting. That practice (which was highly precise) goes back centuries, maybe millennia, through periods of relative cold and relative warming. The notion that modern greenies who oppose all controlled burning are somehow more in tune with nature than the aborigines is simply stupid and probably also racist and Eurocentric.
- The worst Australian wildfire season in modern times was 1974, which was colder and wetter year than average. The amount of land affected was 10-20 times the current wildfire damage.
- There is no trend toward greater frequency and extent of Australian wildfires (unless one cherry-picks data and starts counting in 1975 — even then it is a very weak trend).
- There is no drying trend in Australia as predicted by the sacred Climate Models. There is instead a steady increase in average precipitation over the last 100 years.
- Globally, the frequency of and land affected by wildfires is declining, which should not be the case if there were a correlation with climate change.
In order to sell the climate change narrative, ABC has gone to some lengths to crush discussion of any causes other than climate change. For example, we are not allowed to consider that the failure to take preventive measures (i.e., firebreaks, brush removal, controlled burning) is ever a contributing factor. This ABC story of protestors successfully blocking preventive measures in Nowa Nowa this year has since been conveniently deleted. (For reference, Nowa Nowa is about 10 miles west of Wombat Creek, if that helps. That area was hammered by fires — maybe they should have done more prevention.)
Nobody believes that arson is the principal cause of the fires but it is a factor. We know about the 100 or so idiots who have been caught but the full extent is unknown. ABC lowballs an estimate of 1 percent, presumably based on the cases where the culprits have been caught.
The current political project is to hound government officials who have not bought into the myth that climate change is now the major cause of wildfires. To even question the premise of this political attack on non-lefty politicians is now itself a crime. Alinsky Rules 8 and 13 are in play.
The fires ten years ago were also bad. The year before, in a famous case, a rancher was fired $100,000 for building his own firebreak (on his own land) to protect his property. That was considered an environmental crime. When the fires came through, his was the only house left standing. You would think there was a lesson there.
The “proof” of climate change in the smoke clouds over Australia will be accepted forever by some and there really is no longer an accepted grownup media source or viable academic institution left to correct that error. That is depressing.
Source for much of the above and an outstanding detailed explanation by the invaluable Dr. Roy Spencer is available here.Published in