Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
I wasn’t shocked when I saw this from LifeNews, “For Every 1,000 Babies Born, New York City Kills 544 Babies in Abortions.” Over one-third of pregnancies in New York City ends in the killing of the child. I wasn’t shocked because I knew NYC was the abortion capital of the US as far as a single city goes. And that’s not good enough. The Dems have taken over both Houses of the legislature in NY State now and fully intend to expand abortions if that is physically possible.
On Monday, Governor Andrew Cuomo and former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton joined forces at a Barnard College rally to promote the Reproductive Health Act (RHA). As Jack Crowe reported for National Review, Cuomo has “no doubt” that conservative justices will enable the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade, the 1973 case that legalized abortion at the a federal level. If that happens, the RHA will fortify abortion right in New York state law.
But the bill doesn’t just preserve abortion rights early in pregnancy, which is legal in every state — it protects late-term abortion, too. With the passage of this law, abortions will be permitted “within 24 weeks from the commencement of pregnancy, or [when] there is an absence of fetal viability, or at any time when necessary to protect a patient’s life or health.” And, according to New York magazine, not only will abortion “move from the criminal code to the health code,” but also “it will be easier for physicians’ assistants and nurse practitioners to perform abortions.”
But it goes even further than that. Breitbart finds that the NY Bill actually redefines a human being as one who is physically out of the mother’s womb. From “New York Law to Make Abortion a ‘Fundamental Right’”:
Critics have noted that the Act’s language allowing abortion at any time a patient’s health needs to be protected is purposefully vague so as to permit the broadest interpretation.
The Act also redefines “person” as “a human being who has been born and is alive,” eliminating the possibility of recognizing the personhood of an unborn child. During her presidential campaign in 2016, Hillary Clinton stated that “the unborn person doesn’t have constitutional rights.”
You see, killing one-third of the unborn (and this doesn’t even count the “day after pill” where the killing is undocumented) is just not enough for the liberals in New York City. They want to go as far as possible. Give them a little more time and they will go after their ultimate goal, condoning infanticide up to two years of age. Bio-ethicist Pete Singer among others, argues that it is not immoral to kill a child up to two years of age because the child is not “self-aware, or capable of grasping that they exist over time. They are not persons”; therefore, “the life of a newborn is of less value than the life of a pig, a dog, or a chimpanzee.” I don’t know what makes Pete Singer an “ethicist.” Doesn’t sound very ethical to me, but what do I know. I’m not some elitist philosopher.
Somehow the Dems have not gotten the message on this. According to a new Marist poll, 65 percent of Americans now believe SCOTUS should overturn Roe v. Wade. You can read about the recent abortion polls in this Crux article, “New poll: Vast majority of Americans want abortion restrictions.” I guess most Americans are not elitists either.
What’s interesting is that it cites a poll that shows 75% of Democrats are pro-abortion and 70% of Republicans are pro-life. That must mean the people who don’t identify with either party must strongly lean pro-life. (Only 70% of Republicans? What’s wrong with the other 30%?)
I’ll be going to my fourth March for Life march tomorrow down in DC. We in the pro-life movement are winning! We are turning the tide. If you can’t be there, say a prayer to end this satanic practice.