On Facebook, I have seen the following celebratory post making the rounds:
WE ARE WITNESSING HISTORY
- First Somali-American elected to Congress.
- First openly gay man to win a gubernatorial
- First Muslim woman EVER elected to Congress.
- First Black women ever elected to Congress from Connecticut & Massachusetts
- Youngest woman EVER elected to Congress
What’s missing from that list? Any mention whatsoever of these candidates’ qualifications, beliefs, policy positions, experience, or really anything at all that speaks to competence.
Apparently none of that matters. The only things that matter are your race, gender, and sexual preference. Merely to exist as a member of one of these special groups is a matter of pride. To elect such a person to office, apparently, is a triumph, regardless of any other criterion.
Tell me again who the bigots are?Published in