Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
On Sunday morning, former White House official and reality star Omarosa dropped a bombshell:
This is crazy: Omarosa secretly recorded Chief of Staff John Kelly IN THE SITUATION ROOM pic.twitter.com/08AWjEpqJb
— Robert Maguire (@RobertMaguire_) August 12, 2018
I have a lot of questions about this recording, and here they are, in no particular order:
- What was she even doing in the Situation Room?
- Does anyone know what her job actually was? (This is a great profile on her time in the White House)
- This is illegal, right? There is no way this is not illegal.
- Why would she admit to breaking federal law on Meet the Press in order to sell copies of her book?
- How did she have a recording device in the room?
- If she used a cell phone, do we know if foreign governments or organizations were able to listen in as well?
- Who is in charge of security for the Situation Room? Will they face consequences for this breach?
- Is there any way to verify this was indeed recorded in the Situation Room?
- Will everyone (justifiably) upset about the casual disregard Hillary Clinton showed for security with her email server demand an inquiry?
This is an incredibly troubling sign from a White House marked by disarray and disorganization. It’s been hoped that despite the constant upheaval, there are officials within the military and security establishment upholding standards to ensure something like this incident never takes place. This isn’t a reality show, and there were supposed to be individuals (even if they aren’t the President and his staff) who were responsible for maintaining a level of professionalism required of the executive branch.
A very clear message needs to be sent in response to this announcement: Heads should roll among those responsible for staffing and security the White House and Situation Room, and charges should be filed against Omarosa. The White House isn’t a reality show, and you don’t get to flagrantly break federal law in order to sell a few more copies of a book.