Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
Look, I don’t like ganging up on anybody. Seems like there has been a bit of group pummeling on David French.
I like David French, mostly; I often enjoy hearing his perspective whether I agree with him or not. He is gaining a bit of a reputation for scolding Trumpians over principles he lets slide with the progressive left. Fair? Unfair? I don’t care enough to delve into the matter.
But, he concluded a recent essay on NR thusly:
It’s time for everyone to grapple with reality. Obama wasn’t as wonderful (or terrible) as you remember, the Trump administration isn’t as terrible (or wonderful) as you think, and the true story is far, far more complicated than the facile narratives partisans would have us believe.
What? The Obama administration wasn’t as terrible as I remember? Would this be the Obama administration that:
- Slaughtered hundreds of innocent Mexicans (and more than some less-than-innocent, I’m sure) and an American Border Patrol agent through the auspices of Operation Fast and Furious?*
- Weaponized the IRS (and other nuggets in the interagency) to disrupt, denigrate, and deny Americans organizing to pursue a perfectly Constitutional political agenda. God bless those little American Davids that stood up against the imperious Obama Goliathon.
- Unleashed the Gruber mendacity upon the American health care system, propagating the biggest con ever committed against the American people. “If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.” Right. How’d that work out?
- Pulled us out of Iraq at the cusp of victory, and made every American life lost there a life lost in vain, and sowed the seeds of that irascible JV team ISIS to wreak mayhem on the peace and stability we had expended so much American blood and treasure to achieve.
And on. And on.
The Obama administration wasn’t as terrible as I thought? How dare you, sir. Pull your head out of your tweeter and look about.
* I know more than a little about introducing (up to and including lethal) materiel into an illicit network in order to illuminate and map it. Fast and Furious was an abomination. Period.