John Hawkins has written a cautionary piece for Townhall.com titled “7 Forces Driving America Toward Civil War.” Those forces — upon which he elaborates — are:
- A Post-Constitutional Era
- Federal Government Too Powerful
- Moral Decline
- The Debt
- Lack Of A Shared Culture
- Gun Grabbing
Looking at that list, it seems that there is sufficient overlap that it could be condensed to two: Disrespect for our Constitutional System and Lack of a Shared Culture. The reason I am reducing this list is that it results in a short-hand test for our national policies and laws:
- Does this policy or law tend to support our constitutional system of division of power, equal justice under law, maximizing individual liberty, and protection of property rights and private contracting?
- Does this policy or law tend to support or undermine a common culture that respects conscience, celebrates freedom, emphasizes personal accountability rather than collective punishment, and rewards honesty and deferred gratification?
Notice what the tests do not do:
- Discriminate for or against anyone for an immutable characteristic.
- Result in global citizenship.
- Impose costs on society to cater to anyone who does not want to fully integrate into our common culture.
- Deprive anyone of their individual liberty, speech, movement, association, and thought.
- Deny anyone the fundamental right of effective personal self-defense.
- Undermine republican principles in favor of mob rule.