If a doppelgänger of Joseph Goebbels, the “poison dwarf” propaganda minister of the Third Reich, were somehow to leap into the 21st century and embark on a Tocqueville-like tour of his country’s former enemy, probably he would be stunned by developments thought to have perished with the Nazis’ defeat in 1945. Of course, technological progress would dazzle any time traveler from that era — though Goebbels might huff that German science predicated many advances — but professional interests likely would dominate his observations.
Some things would make him laugh: micro-aggressions, safe spaces, counseling for sensitive egos — are you kidding me? Others would evoke comparisons to practices more familiar to him, such as America’s huge “fake news” industry — i.e., media lies — and Planned Parenthood’s annual slaughter of innocents. So much to see, so much to evaluate, so much to compare!
Which of course is the whole point, especially because our fictional observer likely would agree with Leo Strauss, a German-American who in 1953 expressed astonishment about how a country “defeated on the battlefield … deprived its conquerors … of victory by imposing on them the yoke of its own thought.” This yoke, of course, being National Socialist ideology.
Indeed, though Progressives regularly blast machine-gun volleys of Marxist denunciations against their opponents, only ignorant and narcissistic foot-soldiers among them — writers, entertainers, academicians — really believe that Trump is Hitler and most Republicans are Nazis. The rest are content to swim with currents of the dominant culture, and like the sheep in George Orwell’s Animal Farm, bleat their version of “Two legs bad, four legs good!”
But Goebbels, smart as well as evil, would know that “white” math is not racist any more than, in his day, “Jewish science” was racist or differed from what Heisenberg practiced. The following chart offers speculations about other comparisons that seem relevant.
Comparing National Socialism and Progressivism
|Grievance Culture||Based on post-war upheavals||Based on elite instigation and propagation|
|Political Enemies||Marxists, Social Democrats, “Unfit peoples”||Republicans, Christians, conservatives, police, constitutionalists|
|Identity Politics||Aryan superiority||Multiculturalism|
|Objective Enemy||Jews||Whites, Western Civilization|
|Preferred Governance||One-Party Dictatorship||Federal decrees/orders leading to one-party dictatorship|
|View of the People||Contempt||Contempt|
|View of Country||Useful platform for conquest||Anti-American|
|Human Nature||Master race vs. all others||Malleable|
|Treatment of Dissent||Suppression, murder||Intimidation, smearing|
|Useful Slogans — Rhetorical weapons||“Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Führer!”||Racism, classism, sexism, numerous phobia “isms”|
|Controlling Myth||Racial Superiority||Elite superiority|
None of this is new or original, of course; most Americans are familiar with recent cultural trends. Still, a few conjectures may be in order, drawn from Germany’s cataclysmic journey in the ’30s and ’40s and extrapolations from progressivism’s trajectory over the past few decades. What might be on America’s horizon over the next generation or so?
- Bias Response Teams/Tribunals. This academic institution represents the classic response of totalitarians to opposing views. Expect tribunals to metastasize throughout the country; the psychology of the informant has a pernicious appeal to many otherwise innocuous citizens. The category of so-called “hate crimes” will expand exponentially.
- Criminalization of Dissent. Similar to the above though broader in application, dissenters will be charged with crimes and incarcerated. Anthropogenic Climate Change Deniers will top the list. A multitude of other policy views burst with possibilities for criminalizing their adherents.
- Confiscation of Guns. Totalitarian regimes require subjects who are disarmed and ignorant. Seizing guns accomplishes the first goal and education/indoctrination, the second.
- Increased Militarization of Federal Agencies, such as the EPA and IRS. As of 2014, armed bureaucrats outnumbered the Marine Corps.
- Christians Gradually Expelled from the Civil Service. The Nazis quickly expunged Jews from government — one of the regime’s first acts. For American Christians, the process will take much longer, but they will be threatened and silenced. Christians must keep their mouths shut; pastors better not preach about anything that has social relevance, like abortion, gay rights, marriage, or other consequential matters.
- Legalization of Illegal Aliens — Open Borders. America’s borders will be opened long enough to ensure voting support for the One-Party State until voting no longer matters. After that, expect borders to be closed, lest additional migrants pose problems for the regime.
- Degradation and Denunciation of America’s Military.
- Vast Imposition of Quotas. Quotas will reign supreme: graduation rates, incarceration rates, hiring and firing, recruiting, contracts — everything. Whatever has a pulse will be regulated by quotas, prohibitions, and punishments.
- Increased Segregation in Selected Institutions. Separate graduation ceremonies, for instance, and separate facilities to accommodate American “diversity.” Expect this practice to spread in unexpected ways.
- Increased Mob Violence Against Non-Conforming Citizens. Thus, if a church wants to hold classes on the Biblical view of marriage, for instance (which recently happened in Michigan), expect threats of violence to shut it down. Of course, threats of mob violence have been the standard operational procedure to destroy freedom of speech in academia.
This short list also hints at why progressives hate President Trump, who inspired America’s peasant rebellion and expresses flamboyant contempt for progressive ideology. Just when Hillary was ready to continue Obama’s “transformation” of America, Trump pops up and delays the agenda; no wonder they’re furious. Most Americans don’t understand that it is not what Republicans do that bothers progressives — it can all be quickly undone; it is the fact Republicans exist that infuriates them. Ditto for Christians, conservatives, and others on the list; none belong in a transformed America.
Where does all this leave us? Last September, John Hinderaker of Powerline Blog commented on progressive “educational” goals stated by Edina public schools, a wealthy suburb of Minneapolis. “[E]mbrace ancestry, genetic code and melanin.” This is what the Edina public schools are teaching elementary school children. There was a time when embracing ancestry, genetic code, and melanin was a popular political program. But the Nazis lost World War II.
In a military sense, yes — Germany lost World War II, though it took the combined efforts of the globe’s great powers to defeat the regime. But elements of National Socialist ideology continue to flourish.
About 15 years ago, I had the privilege of chatting with a leader of the Social Democratic Party at a conference in Berlin. German-American relations were touchy at the time, and I asked him what he thought of Americans. “We’re grateful to Americans!” he exclaimed. “They liberated us from the Nazis.” His answer made a huge impression on me.
Which leaves the question, who will save our country from those determined to transform it in ways that would make Herr Goebbels smile? In short, who will liberate America?