On the occasion of PDT’s first State of the Union address, let’s go back and take a look at some of the things predicted for the Trump presidency that have not happened, won’t you?
- Trump has not governed as a New York limousine liberal. That may have been the major fear of a Trump presidency, that he would govern like the Democrats (including Chuck Schumer and Hillary) he had donated much money to in the past. Instead, his first year has been, as Mitt Romney might say, “severely conservative” in his judicial and cabinet appointment, his aggressive regulatory repeals, or his outreach to conservative groups. It is unimaginable that Marco Rubio or John Kasich would have governed as conservatively as PDT. Indeed, Anti-Trump “conservative” pundits like Bill Kristol are the ones sounding like limousine liberals these days.
- Trump has not crashed the stock market, confounding the predictions of pundits like tentacle-hentai aficionado Kurt Eichenwald. Indeed, the markets have soared to record highs. Critics claim that Obama actually had more percentage growth in the stock market, but Obama’s stock markets were bouncing off the bottom and the increases were fed by massive infusions of cash from the US Treasury (“quantitative easing”). The Trump gains appear to be organic.
- Trump has not instigated a massive, economy-killing trade war. There have been targeted protectionist actions against Canadian airplanes, Korean washers and dryers, and Chinese solar panels (or, as fans of ‘Rifftrax’ call them, “soar pommels.”) Even if you disagree with these actions, they fall short of all-out trade war, and may be simply negotiating tactics to get to better trade agreements; which Trump promised he would do.
- Trump has not repealed Obamacare, mainly because, as it turns out, “Repeal and Replace” was an empty Republican campaign slogan. Not only do Republicans love government-run health care as much as Democrats do, but they resist even modest, incremental changes to the law, i.e., “skinny repeal.”
- Trump has not built a massive, beautiful border wall; mainly because Republicans really don’t want to stop illegal immigration. Remember, in 2006, Congress authorized the construction of 900 miles of triple-layer border fencing. The very next year in 2007, they stripped out all funding for it. Graham and Durbin tried to pull off the same trick for DACA Amnesty, but PDT didn’t bite.
- Trump has not imprisoned or murdered journalists for opposition to his regime. Indeed, watch CNN or MSDNC for 10 minutes and you can see that nothing is inhibiting the flow of anti-Trump propaganda. Sorry, Jeff Flake, but just because you personally despise PDT doesn’t make him Stalin.
- Trump’s election has not inspired a wave of anti-gay/anti-immigrant hate crime. There was an uptick in reported hate crimes after Trump was elected, but almost all of these turned out to be hoaxes.
- Trump has not set-up concentration camps for gay people, where Mike Pence in a leather Nazi uniform would be hooking up gay teens to car batteries. (Yeah, Rachel Maddow said this would happen.) Gay marriage has not even been repealed. The worst “setback” gays may endure under Trump is that bakeries may be allowed to decline to bake cakes for their weddings, forcing them to go across the street to a different baker who will do so gladly. And that’s only if Anthony Kennedy doesn’t find a right to wedding cake in the Constitution.
- PDT has not been “soft on Russia.” This idea was ginned up as part of the “Trump-Russia” conspiracy theory, that PDT and all who voted for him were puppets of Vladimir Putin. Instead, with new sanctions, a military build-up, and aggressive counters to Russia’s allies, PDT has been stronger against the Red Menace than Obama; who at this point in his term had sold out missile defense for Eastern Europe and was negotiating to diminish the US nuclear arsenal.
- Trump hasn’t launched a global thermonuclear war.
And finally, Trump hasn’t resigned in disgrace or been impeached because of the Trump-Russia scandal, as predicted by Paul Krugman and many, many others.