Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
As announced today, the 100-year-old organization will allow begin allowing girls into scouting. As a parent and former Eagle Scout, I can think of a hundred reasons why this is a lousy idea. Here are the first few that come to mind.
- Overnight co-ed camping trips.
- Overnight co-ed camping trips with adults.
- The Girl Scouts have a nice thing going.
- Modifying traditional scouting activities because girls won’t do that.
- Modifying traditional scouting activities because boys want to do that.
- Like co-ed dorms, girls don’t civilize the boys. Quite the reverse.
- This appears to be a push by BSA leadership to expand membership — so yet another non-profit abandons its mission to support growth goals and keep grown-ups employed.
- It will increase pressure on Girl Scout troops to shut down/merge
- One more duck peck in the effort to convince the nation that there is nothing different between boys and girls
- Yet another non-profit that abandons its core mission to try and be a social services agency
- It basically implies that the Boys Scouts are better, and that real scouts are in that organization, not Girl Scouts.
- It implies there is nothing positive about all-girl activities
- Or all boy activities
- Dating Merit badge?
- How about That’s Not Funny Merit badge?
- He Said-She Said Merit Badge?