Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
I hate to admit it, but it’s time to meet the other side, head-on. A new narrative must be created to convince people that the conservatives, represented by Republicans, are willing to fight for our values and proposals, and do it with every resource we have, and we don’t care whether the Dems like it or not.
Martel, in his recent post persuaded me that we must be creative, determined, and unapologetic about what we have to offer this country. The process will be painful, difficult, and discouraging at the beginning, because people won’t believe us. They won’t. And the Democrats will use everything in their arsenal to fight us. But an adamant truth-telling must begin.
At this point I have to take a deep breath. I’m not even fully convinced of the argument I’m going to make. But if we don’t take these steps, we will completely lose the country to Progressivism. Here are my suggestions:
- Conduct extensive research on the Democratic leadership: their investments, misuse of funds, betrayal of their constituencies, poor decisions, corrupt cronies, and lies. Most of this research has probably been done already; we just need to be willing to tell the world.
- Publish their dossiers, with full disclosure and source information.
- Identify social media that will promote the same agenda and information. Provide them with data sheets to strengthen their arguments.
- Stick with data that can be verified, whenever possible; qualify any information as unverified when it hasn’t been.
- Tell the Republicans that the train has left the station, and you hope they’re on it.
The blowback will be powerful, from the Left and Right. The Left will try to ignore us, but eventually they will try to fight back, and try to discredit us. The Right had better be prepared to have their backgrounds exposed. I’m sure that many of the long-term Senators and Congressmen have stories and situations to hide; that’s unfortunate, but they’ve probably been riding on the public wagon for too long. It’s time to either clean up their acts or find a new way to make a living. Finally, our politicians need to impose term limits; the political elite will not be spared.
This strategy will also tell the up-and-coming politicians that they’d better keep their noses clean. Don’t bother to run for office if you have something to hide. Put in some time in working in the real world, so that you understand life outside of politics. And if elected, plan to stay clean while you are serving in the US Congress.
This strategy may need to become the new normal for politicians. Although it may initially be harder than ever to find people to run for office, eventually people will realize that if they are principled conservatives, we will back them up and attack those who try to take them down.
Maybe, just maybe, the day will come when the ugly attacks lessen (they will never go away) and we can actually talk about policy once again.
More than ever, political office won’t be a place for sissies.