A Christmas Carol from Finland

 

I’m a night owl and the rest of my family are not. So when Christmas Eve rolls around, the house is quiet and I’m wrapping a few last gifts, assembling bicycles, and arranging everything just so under the tree, I listen to quiet, reverent carols to fit the mood. Being of Finnish extraction, this is my favorite.

 

It’s sung by an acapella sextet named Rajaton in an old, snow-bound chapel somewhere near the Arctic Circle. For those not fluent in the umlaut-laden language (myself included), here’s a translation.

On the Hay, in the Bulls’ Trough

On the hay, in the bulls’ trough
Sleeps an innocent Child.
The path of a flock of angels
Soon leads to Him
To marvel at the greatest Love.

In the hems of the beloved mother
Sleeps the Son of God.
The path of a flock of angels
Soon leads to Him
To marvel at the greatest Love.

In the midst of lilies and roses
Sleeps the Lord of people.
The path of a flock of angels
Soon leads to Him
To marvel at the greatest Love.

At the cross beside a robber
Sleeps the purest Victim.
The path of a flock of angels
Soon leads to Him
To marvel at the greatest Love.

I, and all of us at Ricochet, wish you the happiest Hanukkah and a very merry Christmas.

Published in General
Like this post? Want to comment? Join Ricochet’s community of conservatives and be part of the conversation. Join Ricochet for Free.

There are 11 comments.

Become a member to join the conversation. Or sign in if you're already a member.
  1. Jason Rudert Inactive
    Jason Rudert
    @JasonRudert

    Now sing it.

    • #1
  2. Chris Campion Coolidge
    Chris Campion
    @ChrisCampion

    Thanks Jon.  A merry to you and yours.

    • #2
  3. Susan in Seattle Member
    Susan in Seattle
    @SusaninSeattle

    Lovely.  Thank you and best Christmas wishes to you and yours.

    • #3
  4. Judge Mental Member
    Judge Mental
    @JudgeMental

    Jason Rudert:Now sing it.

    View comment in context.

    Or Jason will.

    • #4
  5. Bryan G. Stephens Thatcher
    Bryan G. Stephens
    @BryanGStephens

    Thank you for sharing. Loveley

    • #5
  6. GLDIII Reagan
    GLDIII
    @GLDIII

    Judge Mental:

    Jason Rudert:Now sing it.

    View comment in context.

    Or Jason will.

    View comment in context.

    In the key of “H” again.

    • #6
  7. Dave L Member
    Dave L
    @DaveL

    Thank you Jon, very lovely. Merry Christmas.

     

    • #7
  8. iWe Coolidge
    iWe
    @iWe

    I often do not care for music selections on Ricochet; I rarely can listen to very much of any given “amazing band”, etc.

    But this? This piece of music is downright pretty.

    Thank you for sharing it!

    • #8
  9. Pugshot Member
    Pugshot
    @Pugshot

    Beautiful! And extra special because my wife is of Finnish heritage.

    • #9
  10. kmtanner Inactive
    kmtanner
    @kmtanner

    My daughter’s schoolchoir sang in the same concert as they did.

    • #10
  11. DJ EJ Member
    DJ EJ
    @DJEJ

    The 25% Finn in me on my dad’s side is filled with pride, while the other 75% loves the beauty of the singing and the Christmas message. Merry Christmas (as we celebrate the 12 days of Christmas from December 25th to Epiphany)!

    • #11
Become a member to join the conversation. Or sign in if you're already a member.