Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
Ed Driscoll, who is posting with some frequency these days on Glenn Reynolds’ website Instapundit, put up this item this morning:
AN OPEN LETTER FROM A MILITARY WIFE TO OBAMA ABOUT MILITARY PROPERTY SECURITY:
Dear Mr. Obama,
I have little hope that you’ll ever read this, but I have to get this off my chest. Since 1993, our military personnel, many of whom have had extensive weapons training including sidearms, have not been allowed to carry weapons openly or concealed on military properties. Yet on your watch the following incidents have occurred:
- 2009 – Fort Hood, 13 killed, 29 wounded–many permanently disabled
- 2009 – Arkansas recruiting station, one killed, a second wounded
- 2010 – Pentagon shooting by a 9/11 truther, two wounded
- 2013 – Washington Navy Yard shooting, 13 killed, three injured
- 2014 – Norfolk Naval Base, one killed
- 2014 – Fort Hood AGAIN–three killed, 14 injured
- 2015 – Chattanooga, four Marines at the Navy Operational Support Center and Marine Corps Reserve Center killed, two others wounded at a local recruiting station
These incidents, which resulted in the deaths of 35 innocent people and serious injuries to 51 others, might all have been minimized or even prevented by trained, armed military members.
Why is it that these men and women, who carry firearms on our behalf, whom we entrust with the security and well-being of our nation, aren’t allowed to bear arms on military bases in order to defend themselves and others?
I repost it here because the letter deserves widespread attention.
The mainstream Republican candidates should pick it up and hammer away on the theme. Otherwise, Donald Trump will do so and make them look like wimps.