Here are my picks for the best books of 2014, fiction and non-fiction. These aren’t the best books published this year, but rather the best I’ve read in the last 12 months. The winner in both categories are barely distinguished from the pack, and the runners up are all worthy of reading. Runners up appear in alphabetical order by their author’s surname.
- The Martian by Andy Weir
- My Sweet Satan by Peter Cawdron
- Avogadro Corp. by William Hertling
- Honor Bound Honor Born by Steven D. Howe
- Kill Decision by Daniel Suarez
- Miss Leavitt’s Stars by George Johnson
- Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom
- Flash Boys by Michael Lewis
- Savage Continent by Keith Lowe
- Safe Is Not an Option by Rand Simberg
What are your picks for 2014 books of the year?