Ricochet is the best place on the internet to discuss the issues of the day, either through commenting on posts or writing your own for our active and dynamic community in a fully moderated environment. In addition, the Ricochet Audio Network offers over 50 original podcasts with new episodes released every day.
The post title is shamelessly stolen from a Sarah Hoyt post on Instapundit. In the style that Instapundit uses it is a commentary on a New York Post story, ‘Frustrated’ Young Women Trying To Get Sterilized After Overturning Of Roe. It perfectly encapsulates the energy behind our political struggles and the likely outcomes if Progressivism succeeds: We will all die and leave nothing behind.
There are multiple strains of Progressive strategy that tend in this direction:
- Environmentalism that treats human activity as a form of virus on the earth to be eradicated.
- Green energy that puts humanity, at a minimum, in an energy starved civilization and more likely suffering famine, pestilence, and warfare over scarce resources.
- Restraints on liberty that eliminate incentives foundational to healthy economies and thriving societies and that promote depression, drug use, and suicide.
- Central planning and control that ultimately fails to deliver for society and leads to rationing (at best) and widespread corruption and death.
- Displacement of a belief in G-d for a belief in Government that robs the individual of his/her non-removable status in the larger society and makes all individuals disposable at the whim of the powers that be.
Progressivism, to the extent it is not simply a malign strategy by evil persons to obtain and retain power, relies on people believing things that have never been and likely will never be. It appeals to the short term needs and desires and obscures how meeting those needs and desires robs one of a future.
The only way to resist the siren song is to speak truth and break the spell that Progressives cast on gullible individuals. “The Emperor has no clothes!” “Gravity doesn’t care that you want to fly” “Everything costs something; its only a question of who pays””Nature has created a binary reproductive scheme for humans””If its too good to be true, it isn’t””Success requires sacrifice””If you keep redefining words you end conversation and thinking” and so on and so forth.
Reality is. Wishing doesn’t make it so. Darwin giggles when you think you are exempt from natural law.