Those Open-minded Liberals Skewer a Lifestyle Choice. Again.
Every once in a while those liberals let out their true colors, which are decidedly NOT the rainbow shades of tolerance and diversity but the rigid black-and-whites of conformity.
1. It begins as an opinion piece about Rick Santorum from the New York Times.
2. It quickly veers to the subject of homeschooling.
3. It trots out every ill-informed prejudice known to man.
4. It's by everyone's favorite education scholar and political scientist Dick Cavett.
5. It's dripping with bile and sarcasm yet naturally gets a hearty 'huzzah' from the Times's comment corps.
Teaching is an art and a profession requiring years of training. Where did the idea come from that anybody can do it? How many parents can intuit how to do it? (Pardon unconscious rhyme there.) My parents were teachers and the thought of home-schooling sent them rolling before they were in their graves. Especially when parents, complaining of their kids’ schooling, wrote in report card responses things like “I am loathe to critacize…”; “my childs consantration”; “normalicy”; “my daughter’s abillaties”; “her examatian grades”; “she should of done better”; “greater supervizion,” etc., into the night.
To deny kids the adventure and socialization of going to school, thereby missing out on the activities, gossip, projects, dances, teams, friendships and social skills developed — to deny kids this is shortsighted and cruel. I think of the mournful home-school kid watching his friends board the school bus, laughing, gossiping and enjoying all that vital socialization we call schooldays.
I guess only certain alternative lifestyles meet the approval of the liberal intelligentsia.
Photo from http://classicshowbiz.blogspot.com.