The Top 50 Questions Raised by Mad Men's Season Premiere
1. Does Don realize he is lost in the haunted woods?
2. Does that mean Megan is his guide?
3. Is Megan Virgil
4. Is Betty his Beatrice to whom he is seeking a way back?
5. Dante was writing about the experience of being an exile. Is Don in exile?
6. From Kansas?
7. What did Jonesy the doorman see when he died?
8. Did he see Don and that’s what he’s not telling him?
9. Did he see Ken Cosgove with him?
10. Did he see Stan’s beard?
12. Lend me your ear’s is from Mark Anthony’s funeral speech in Julius Caesar. Is Peggy like Mark Anthony: the last defender of the slain despot (Don) destined to carry his torch to build an empire?
13. Mark Anthony’s funeral speech, Dante’s tour of the afterlife, Roger’s mother’s funeral, the elevator guy dying and coming back from the dead, the doctor from down the hall talking about the power of life and death, Don’s ad about killing yourself; is there a theme here? I feel like there is but I can’t put my finger on it?
14. Is Matt Weiner saying that Shakespeare is better than Dante?
15. Where is the Lupercal in Manhattan? The Grand Central Oyster Bar?
16. If shows reference Dante and Shakespeare in the first half hour, are they guaranteed space in the New Yorker, New York or New York Times magazine by law?
17. Why didn’t I think of making a show about media people in the time when they actually dressed nice?
18. What was that look the doctor neighbor gave Don’s secretary?
19. What was that look Roger gave Joan?
20. What was that look the Roger’s daughter gave him?
21. What are these looks?
22. Did all these characters go to a secret episode of this show that I wasn’t invited to?
23. There’s a picture of JFK on Peggy’s wall. Does that have something to do with Julius Caesar?
24. Did Peggy invent the Numa Numa video?
25. What do elevators represent to 60’s Manhattan?
26. What do elevators represent to us?
27. Is the fact that they move you up but not forward significant?
28. Is Mad Men saying we are all just moving up and down in place?
29. Is that what Roger was saying about doors opening and closing but nothing changes, like on an elevator?
30. And Jonesy the doorman dead?
31. Is Roger also dead?
32. Does the Ono/Oh no! dichotomy as spelled out by the Hawaiian MC represent the essential paradox of Don’s life?
33. If you buy two coffees and give one to Don and the other one to Pete, where did you go to college?
34. Sending a deli platter to a funeral is the best idea this show has had since season 3. Why didn’t that guy get more credit?
35. What was on that soldier’s lighter? I think it was a quote and or a reference but the writing was too small and I was thinking about something else?
36. Which Antonioni film did Betty’s character walk out of tonight?
37. When Antonioni’s ghost watched the Betty scenes tonight, did he say, I don’t remember directing that?
38. Did the Mad Men production office get a call from the late 60’s tonight saying, we want our Antonioni film from the Betty scenes back?
39. When Don looks out his windows, what does he see?
41. If Don were alive today, would he be writing GIF’s?
42. How many Pete Campbells can dance on the head of a pin?
43. By asking everyone if there mother was dead was Ken Cosgove suggesting that the advertising world is a spiritual orphanage?
44. By growing sideburns is Pete Campbell suggesting that the advertising world is a spiritual orphanage?
45. In two hours and seven minutes there was no time to catch up with Joan?
46. Is the disappearance of the orphan violinist girl a harbinger of things to come?
47. Will many orphaned violinist girls disappear this season?
48. Is the disappearance of the orphaned violinist girl a metaphor? For everything?
49. Is Peggy Hilary Clinton?
50. When does the Hipster Goulash Crashpad spin-off debut?