It occurred to me while singing Don't Stop Believing at the top of lungs in the car, "I've been singing that line wrong this whole time." The offending verse: "Livin' just to find emotion." My version: "Heaven's just a fond emotion." I have no idea how I came up with that, but I've been singing it that way for decades.
This isn't the first time this has happened to me, and I'm not alone. A not so recent poll (2008) in the UK found the lyrics from these songs caused some confusion as well. I apologize in advance for anything offensive, some are a little edgy:
- Madonna, 'Like A Virgin' - "Touched for the 33rd time." (Real lyric: "Touched for the very first time.")
- REM, 'Losing My Religion' - "Let's pee in the corner." ("That's me in the corner.")
- Nirvana, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' - "Here we are now, in containers." ("Here we are now, entertain us.")
- Bob Dylan, 'Blowin' In The Wind' - "The ants are my friends, they're blowin' in the wind." ("The answer, my friend, is...")
- Spice Girls, 'Wannabe' - "If you wanna do my mother, you gotta get her a Benz." ("If you wannabe my lover, you gotta get with my friends.")
- Abba, 'Chiquitita' - "Chicken tikka, tell me what's wrong (Chiquitita, tell me...")
- U2, 'Mysterious Ways' - "Shamu, the mysterious whale." ("She moves in mysterious ways.")
- Eagles, 'Desperado' - "You've been outright offensive." ("...out riding fences.")
- Starship, 'We Built This City' - "We built this city on the wrong damn road." ("...on rock and roll.")
- Red Hot Chili Peppers, 'Can't Stop' "Can't stop the ferrets when they need food." ("Can't stop the spirits when they need you.")
Here are some of my personal favorites I've been screwing up all these years. I've done the Efferson to actual lyrics translation for you:
Manfred Mann's Blinded By the Light:
What I hear: "Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche, another roller in the night."
Actual lyrics: "Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night."
(This one is so common MSNBC posted an article on the matter.)
Peter Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers:
What I hear: "She's so funky yeah..."
Actual lyrics: "Jeux sans frontières.."
Metallica's Enter Sandman:
What I hear: "Amstel light, enter night..."
Actual lyrics: "Exit light, enter night..."
I personally think my version works equally well.
What I hear: "E-R-A.. E-R-A.. Zombie... Zombie...Zombie.."
Actual lyrics: "In your head... In your head.. Zombie... Zombie.. Zombie.."
So now fess up Ricochet readers, what songs have you been happily singing incorrectly all these years?