What are the five essential goals that would make up a new Contract for America-style campaign for 2014? Here are my five goals:
- Pass a balanced budget amendment capping all federal spending at no more than 20% of GDP with only a supermajority exception in the case of a declared war. This amendment should also severely limit government’s ability to form GSEs or other instruments designed to move revenue and spending “off-budget.”
- Repeal Obamacare. Simplify the marketplace by decoupling health care from employment, providing national tort reform and limiting state insurance restrictions to questions of financial rating, not coverage, in favor of free trade.
- Reform entitlements under the rubric – retain for those 55 or older, and preserve for those under 55.
- Simplify the tax code; the goal should be revenue neutrality overall, consistency of application, elimination of preferences and ease of compliance.
- Reform immigration under the rubric – secure our borders, simplify and clarify the immigration process, enforce our laws, and deal with those here illegally without providing incentives for others to come here illegally.