Two of her concerns:
1) Would a 9% national sales tax curtail folks' spending habits (especially in a state like California, whose state sales tax approaches the proposed federal add-on)?
2) What would stop Congress from going beyond 9% (keeping in mind that any two-thirds requirement to raise taxes could always be eliminated by a majority vote to eliminate said requirement)?
My questions to you:
1) Would the sales tax discourage you from buying a big-ticket item like an automobile?
2) How do you impose handcuffs on Congress?
3) Donning your best strategist's hat, how do you downplay any politically unpopular details -- i.e., eliminating mortgage deductions?