If you had the powers of persuasion (heaven help us if you really did, but this is idle fancy here) to rally America to tackle 5 core reforms, what reforms would you choose? In the conservative spirit, let's keep them to reforms that the government could legitimately make, not of the silly "I'd outlaw war" or "I'm going to nationalize healthcare" types. You've only got 5, then you'll either retire or, well...
To kick off my own list (in no particular order):
1. Remove professional trade associations from the process of accreditations. Get the teachers out of deciding who becomes teachers, get the ABA out of law schools, get AMA out of medicine, etc. These medieval guild relics have so gamed the system that they wield policy power disproportionate to their numbers.
2. End the War on Drugs. This has been the camel's nose regarding civil liberties and has introduced a corruption and rot into our entire legal and police systems. I'm not saying to legalize drugs (that's a separate debate), but our methods of combatting them have led to every podunk police department and obscure federal agency thinking they need a SWAT team. It has militarized our police beyond all necessity or control.
3. Take 5 years to phase out ALL subsidies, ALL price supports, and ALL foreign aid programs. Let industries fend for themselves. Congress has piled on many many layers of transfer payments, tax abatements, credits, and Lord knows what else over the decades to the point where many markets are distorted, and resources mis-allocated. I would include in here a wide assortment of personal tax breaks too.
4. Force federal agencies to clear ALL regulations through Congress. Executive branch agencies should never have been allowed the level of autonomy they enjoy. If regulators have to explain themselves in public, it reduces their incentive to write laws whenever they get bored.
5. Take 50 years to phase out and abolish Social Security. This program (as was predicted many decades ago) absolutely prevents people from saving for themselves, discourages people from marrying during their youth, discourages childbirth, pits the old against the young, encourages a neglect and abuse of the elderly, and breeds a total dependency on the government.
Pipe dreams all I'm sure.