I listen to Glenn Beck in the car for brief periods. Today he was talking about some list of OWS demands. The list included an $18/hr minimum wage.
Anyone know the source of that list?
Answer by Diane Ellis
The list of demands originated on an OWS forum, but they've since distanced themselves from the list. Here's the list:
- Repeal the Taft-Hartley Act. Unionize ALL workers immediately.
- Raise the minimum wage immediately to $18/hr. Create a maximum wage of $90/hr to eliminate inequality.
- Institute a 6 hour workday, and 6 weeks of paid vacation.
- Institute a moratorium on all foreclosures and layoffs immediately.
- Repeal racist and xenophobic English-only laws.
- Open the borders to all immigrants, legal or illegal. Offer immediate, unconditional amnesty, to all undocumented residents of the US.
- Create a single-payer, universal health care system.
- Pass stricter campaign finance reform laws. Ban all private donations. All campaigns will receive equal funding, provided by the taxpayers.
- Institute a negative income tax, and tax the very rich at rates up to 90%.
- Pass far stricter environmental protection and animal rights laws.
- Allow workers to elect their supervisors.
- Lower the retirement age to 55. Increase Social Security benefits.
- Create a 5% annual wealth tax for the very rich.
- Ban the private ownership of land.
- Make homeschooling illegal. Religious fanatics use it to feed their children propaganda.
- Reduce the age of majority to 16.
- Abolish the death penalty and life in prison. We call for the immediate release of all death row inmates from death row and transferred to regular prisons.
- Release all political prisoners immediately.
- Immediate withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Abolish the debt limit.
- Ban private gun ownership.
- Strengthen the separation of church and state.
- Immediate debt forgiveness for all.
- End the 'War on Drugs'.